History - Alpha Fire Company

A brief timeline of our history

1899 Organization of Union Fire Company
1900 Name changes to Alpha Fire Company
1908 Firehall built on Frasier Street
1923 Alphas acquire their first motorized truck
1924 Pennsylvania State College Fire Department merges with the Alpha Fire Company
1927 First Fourth of July Carnival
1953 Renovation of present day municipal building for borough offices. Fire Company moved to current police department
1974 Dedication of present day fire station
1997 Renovation of Station 5 including bunk room, new kitchen and fitness room
1999 Centennial celebration of Alpha Fire Company, including fire company carnival, re-dedication of station and Centennial parade
2001 Dedication of the Patton Township Sub-Station
2003 College Township building begins housing an Engine
2010 College Township renovation providing bunkroom and kitchen

The brass steam whistle from the Pennsylvania State College, now Penn State University power plant, used as the town whistle from 1893 to 1930 especially for fire alerts. Presented September 29, 1974 by President John W. Oswald on behalf of the Pennsylvania State University in appreciation of the local and efficient service of the Alpha Fire Company.