The Alpha Volunteer Fire Company Has Answered The Call For The Centre Region Since 1899.
The Alpha Fire Company is an all-volunteer company with over 100 active members dedicated to providing professional fire, rescue and emergency support services throughout the Centre region. Our primary headquarters is in downtown State College, with stations in both Patton and College Townships.
We have been a first response organization for fighting fires, emergency services and community support for well over a century. With four Fire Engines, two Tankers, three specialized Tower Trucks and a small fleet of rugged rescue and command vehicles across our three locations, we stand ready to serve our community in a moment’s notice.
Alpha Fire Company History: A Timeline
Learn about the history of Alpha on the timeline below, and also see, on pages in this section, how we are funded and what areas Alpha serves with stations across the Centre region.
Use our page navigation for links to other regional fire companies and local government websites, plus information on how Alpha Company is divided into distinct operational divisions.
1899 Organized under the name of Union Fire Company
1900 Name changes to Alpha Fire Company
1908 Firehall built on Frasier Street
1923 Alphas acquire their first motorized truck
1924 Pennsylvania State College Fire Department merges with the Alpha Fire Company
1927 First Fourth of July Carnival
1953 Renovation of present day municipal building for borough offices. Fire Company moved to current police department
1974 Dedication of present day fire station
1997 Renovation of Station 5 including bunk room, new kitchen and fitness room
1999 Centennial celebration of Alpha Fire Company, including fire company carnival, re-dedication of station and Centennial parade
2001 Dedication of the Patton Township Sub-Station
2003 College Township building begins housing an Engine
2010 College Township renovation providing bunkroom and kitchen
To Learn More About Today’s Alpha Fire Company, Visit Our FAQ Page.
To See If You Have What It Takes To Become An Alpha Volunteer Firefighter—Start Here!
The brass steam whistle from the Pennsylvania State College, now the Penn State University power plant, was used as the town whistle from 1893 to 1930; especially for fire alerts. This was presented officially to Alpha Fire Company on September 29, 1974 by President John W. Oswald on behalf of the Pennsylvania State University in appreciation for outstanding local community service.