Total Time On Call:
Officer In Charge:
The Alpha Fire Company wishes everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We also want to you say safe, especially if your plan on deep frying a turkey or other food. With the proliferation of ‘fryers’ on the marker we hear stories about deep frying going wrong with tragic results. If you plan to deep fry please remember the following:
- Unless you have a deep fryer specifically designed and installed for indoor use do this OUTSIDE on the lawn well clear of any structures.
- Make sure that the turkey or other meat is COMPLETELY thawed. Frozen sections could explode and throw hot oil everywhere.
- Make sure the turkey giblets have been removed and that it is NOT stuffed.
- Make sure the inside and outside of the bird are DRY. Water could cause the oil to boil up suddenly.
- Wear substantial clothing and heat resistant gloves when handling the heated fryer and the turkey. We’re dealing with temperatures around 350 to 400 degrees. The oil can inflict serious burns.
- Whenever you are moving the turkey in or out of the hot oil SHUT THE BURNER OFF. If the oil does boil over there is less likelihood of a fire.
- Keep children away from the cooking process.
- NEVER leave the fryer unattended while cooking.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy.
- Have someone else watching your back and ready to call 9-1-1 if necessary.
Have a safe and happy holiday.