Update: Google Maps of the routes are available. Click on one of the links available at the end of this post.
The Alpha Fire Company is pleased to announce that as he has done for over 20 years, Santa Claus will visit the Centre Region on Christmas Eve. Nicknamed “The Santa Run”, the Alphas provide Santa with two of our big red sleighs to ride through our community’s neighborhoods. Links to routes are at the end of this article.
Using Christmas magic, as only Santa can do, he will be in two places at the same time, one on the east side of the region and one on the west side. To download the routes please go to our website, www.alphafire.com.
Santa and the Alpha Elves have teamed up with members of the Nittany Amateur Radio Club to allow folks to watch the special sleighs move through the Centre Region in real time. Go to www.aprs.fi. on your Internet browser. After a few moments a map will appear. It might come up in Helsinki, Finland – don’t worry. Just type ‘State College, PA’ in the box on the right labeled ‘Address, City, or Locator’ and press ENTER. The map will move to State College and you will see SANTAE and SANTAW moving on the map. You’ll be able to see when he is near your neighborhood.
On Twitter, the account to follow is @AlphaFireCo, #SantaRun. We will post updates on Santa’s arrival in each neighborhood.
Remember that Santa and his Alpha Elves are firefighters, so if there is a fire or other emergency they have respond to the call.
- The Alpha Fire Company has been sponsoring the “Santa Run” for over twenty yearsThe idea for the event is credited to Assistant Chief Tom Hand, retired.
- Only one Truck and Santa were used the first few years.
- Demand for a visit by Santa to more neighborhoods required us to have two Trucks and Santa’s
- This year we will start an hour earlier, at 4 PM, so we can get done earlier.
- The volunteers start decorating the trucks at 8 AM on Christmas Eve.
- There is an Engine, a Truck (the sleigh), and at least one Fire Police unit to help with traffic safety in each Santa Run convoy.
- Santa’s elves hand out candy canes to children at locations where it is safe to stop.
- Santa stays in the “bucket” on the Truck. We cannot allow children or persons to climb up on the Truck for safety reasons.
- The Santa Run is one of the ways the Alphas say, thank you, to the community for the support we receive year round.
Or try these links: