You’re a little more than half an hour away from a life changing opportunity.
THE BASICS: These Are The Five Initial Requirements For Alpha Membership
- Be at least 18 years old: Eighteen is the generally accepted “you are an adult” age nationwide. If you’re old enough to vote, work, and to go to college, you’re old enough to be an Alpha! We don’t currently have a Junior program, but we look forward to working with you as soon as you’re 18.
- Be a High School graduate or have a GED or equivalent: This requirement demonstrates your completion of the basic level of education necessary to train safely and competently as an Alpha. You have training materials to read, equipment to test on and to understand inside-out, and have many procedures to learn and adopt as you become part of the Company.
- Possess a valid driver’s license: You’ve seen all manner of Alpha trucks, engines and vehicles around town or rushing to an emergency. While you do not need a commercial driver’s license to apply, additional training and certification is necessary to operate our apparatus.
- Complete an application and background check: A background check and fully completed application is necessary so that we can learn more about you, your work history and your record of achievement or employment. Background checks aren’t done to disqualify people—but rather, to insure everyone is being assessed fairly and equally in the application process on an individual basis.
- Complete a background physical: Being a volunteer firefighter or fire police member requires a generally accepted level of fitness to operate safely and competently as an Alpha Fire Company member. We pay for all of the expenses associated with your physical and background check requirements.
The Alpha Application Process: Very Similar To An Employment Application
The application for Alpha Fire Company membership is pretty standard stuff for anyone who has sought employment, applied to a school or even taken a driver’s test or state exam.
Each section of the application helps you provide the information we need to meet the five requirements listed above.
Your membership type and personal data is used to verify your resident status, your valid drivers license, and your personal contact information. Your personal information is used for identification, residence and background checking only, and is kept strictly confidential.
Your academic record establishes that you meet or exceed the requirement of having a high school diploma, a GED or equivalent. It also lets us know if you are currently a higher education student in four-year, trade or community college. In any given year, 30-40% of the Alpha Fire Company is comprised of student members!
Your criminal history is a straightforward question that deserves a straightforward answer: A blemish on a criminal history does NOT automatically disqualify you from joining the Alpha Fire Company. But it is a consideration we make (and take) seriously on a case-by-case basis, so please answer honestly.
Your employment history, if you have one (many of our student members do not as of yet) gives us insight into your current or past positions held as a gainfully employed individual, and lets us know the kind of work schedule you are accustomed to keeping.
Your general information can be some of the most compelling information you provide. If you have previous experience, certifications or training that may be pertinent to becoming an Alpha member—we want to know about it. That includes the section on WHY you want to join the fire company. What is motivating you to make such a unique commitment to our community at large, and to our fire company in particular?
And finally, think of providing personal references as giving us people you know who will “vouch” for you, your character, your work habits and what you stand for as an individual. Teachers, co-workers, coaches, former or current supervisors, volunteers you’ve worked with, and members of the clergy make solid character references. Remember to always notify the references you provide that you are applying to become a member of the Alpha Volunteer Fire Company.
Becoming An Alpha Fire Volunteer Is Worth The Time.
The application is mandatory, but ours is an organization that welcomes the chance to meet you before you even give us the fat half hour it takes to complete the application.
We encourage a station visit and a meeting with Alpha members prior to applying.
Contact us to arrange a visit.